Excellent news– Rock Band is getting a much-needed patch! Well, at least the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions are, anyway.
- (New!) Music Store: Rock Band now has a new feature that lets you preview and purchase songs from within the game! Accessible from the main menu, the Music Store lets you view, purchase and sort all available music based on various categories, view album art, listen to song previews, and check out extended information about the song like difficulty for each instrument.
- Revised Fan Caps: To allow Easy, Medium, and Hard players to progress further in the Band World Tour, we’ve increased the number of fans that you can earn before hitting the cap. Easy players can now travel across the Atlantic, Medium players have a wider range of venues they can play at, and Hard players on the Xbox 360 are now able to unlock the “One Million Fans” achievement.
- More diverse songs in Band World Tour: If you’ve ever cursed having to play “Say it Ain’t So” or a Metallica track multiple times in the same hour, then you’ll be glad to know that we’ve tracked down and fixed the issues that triggered these very repetitive moments in Band World Tour.
- Improved phoneme recognition: We’ve improved the detection and scoring for phoneme recognition. If you had trouble on songs like “Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld” or “Blitzkrieg Bop”, you should have an easier time beating these songs now.
- Microphone Latency on PlayStation 3 improved: Our awesome team of audio programmers has found some optimizations that reduce microphone latency on the PlayStation 3 in certain situations.
- Xbox 360 Band Logos are now visible through Xbox LIVE: An issue with parental controls stopped band logos from being visible over Xbox LIVE. With this update, you can now view all of the awesome band logos that people around the world have created!
- Faster loading of downloadable content on Xbox 360: Not only is the loading speed faster, but this information is now cached so that this loading time is a “once only” wait rather than something that happens every time you turn on the game.
I have cursed #2, #3, and #7 more times than I care to think about. Glad those are being addressed! I’m still waiting for a patch that will give the band the ability to designate a new band leader and let the current one drop out, though.
Details on the new in-game music store are available on GameSpy. I really wish they’d extend that per-instrument skill information to the main game user interface, though:
It’s always a surprise for someone in the band when you pick that one song which happens to be much more difficult on some instruments than the others. I’m looking at you, The Police’s Next To You!
The patch is slated to be released “this week”, but as the week is almost over, I’m not sure when exactly that will be.