October 26, 2008

Guitar Hero: World Tour Guitar Identified

You may remember my previous post relating various fake plastic guitars to their real world equivalents.

At the time I hadn’t heard of any particular inspiration for the new Guitar Hero: World Tour guitar, so we were informally calling it the generitar or the genericaster. Well, we don’t have to any more: the “Schecter Classic” or c-series from Schecter Guitar Research must be the model. See for yourself:

schecter classic guitar

guitar-hero-world-tour-guitar

Quite the resemblance. Mystery solved!

I don’t think the resemblance is on purpose, but I admit it’s quite close. On the other hand, it’s a pretty basic Strat-type guitar body – The Guitar Hero controller has deep, angled cutaways, which only make sense from a design perspective for the controller, and the headstock does share a lot of similarities, the GH one being designed to look ‘edgier’, making the tuner pegs look a bit silly – such a layout couldn’t be used; the top pegs (right-most ones) can’t be reached from the nut… but that’s a nitpick.

So yeah, inspiration maybe, but it’s fairly generic for a game controller at this point… I would have enjoyed a Schecter licensed controller, though.

Mathieu Bonin
October 27, 2008 at 5:05 am

Are Schecter guitars in the game though?

Kyle
October 28, 2008 at 5:33 am

No, the guitars in Guitar Hero: World Tour are unlicensed.

Mathieu Bonin
October 28, 2008 at 11:46 am

Hey, just discovered this blog a couple days ago. Good stuff. Although this makes me wonder why they picked those guitars for those particular games (i.e. a not-so-popular-SG for the first game and an obscure one for the most recent)

Rhythm Bastard
October 28, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Have a look at the Schecter 00 series, the 006 Deluxe to be exact. The cutaways are more pronounced and there is only one neck strap buckle.

Harry
December 9, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Hey Jeff,

The headstock shape on the Schecter is kind of a standard shape. You can get is on an ESP F series and a few BC Rick models.

The headstock is actually a lot closer to the Warmoth headstock, but reversed. http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/necks/warmoth_warmothpro.aspx

They make a variety of custom guitar parts, but don’t make any complete guitars that I know of. The GH team may have picked this headstock shape to avoid any accidental copyright/patent issues.

I guess it also looks a bit like a variax headstock too.

Ian Muir
December 21, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Can anyone tell me what model the schecter pictured here is.? and anyone know where to buy 1 from

Shane