September 27, 2010

Rock Band 3 Pro Video Previews

Now that Rock Band 3 is a bit less than a month away, some nicely detailed videos are available showcasing some of the biggest new Pro features.

If you’re wondering “why the heck should I care about Rock Band 3”, these videos aren’t long and I swear they’ll give you a reason to fall in love with the music video game genre all over again!*

New Pro Keyboard

New Pro Drums

New Pro Guitar

Want more? There’s also a nicely detailed walkthrough of pro guitar technical details over at rockband.com, too.

For an average person’s initial impressions, see this early IGN review:

Remember, these are just the major new features! Rock Band 3 is packed with dozens of other improvements fans have been begging for in the now two year old Rock Band 2. I can’t wait to get my hands on it come October 26th. I’ve pre-ordered a keyboard bundle — have you? And if not, what are you waiting for?

* and some of us never stopped loving it. sniff

Gah, the drum video STLL glosses the detail I want at the end – info about the extra pedal. So there’s a way to “enable” hi-hat / double bass. Are songs charted for it? How would hi-hat usage be displayed in the track? Or is it only in fills?

Bean
September 28, 2010 at 7:52 am

@Bean the “2nd pedal switches cymbal from open to closed” thing you’re referring to, only works in the drum trainer — per the above video.

In regular gameplay the 2nd drum pedal just acts as a second drum pedal.

Jeff Atwood
September 28, 2010 at 11:36 am

The Pro drums are backwards compatible!?? Woah, that’s awesome.

On a meta note these videos are really well produced. I’m looking forward to Harmonix putting out their official guitar video.

Kyle
September 30, 2010 at 4:54 am

same thing here, I want the double bass pedal and the hi-hat modifier in Rock Band!

Roger
October 1, 2010 at 7:43 am

Harmonix are a bunch of idiots. (No offense)
How can it EVER be pro drums, without all the charting of a song? Its just plain stupid.
I’m definitely not buying this game, unless it has all the charting of a song.
You might wonder what the hell I’m talking about.
Stuff like “Avenged Sevenfold – Beast & the Harlot”, “Slipknot – Before I Forget” and “Anthrax – Caught in a Mosh” if not couple more of the setlist, which will miss the double bass parts. (apparently, because they announced no double bass charts)
Get your head outta your asses seriously, and add that freaking extra bass chart, if Guitar Hero can, so can you.
All you need is an “OPTION” to use double bass, turn On and OFF.
So NO freaking excuses about having to buy another pedal to play pro drums, only got 1 pedal? Fine turn OFF double bass charts, how freaking complicated is that?
This was the main reason I would go ahead and buy RB3, for the double bass charts, double bass not gonna happen?
Fine, me buying it not gonna happen, but who cares I’m 1 costumer right.
But hell, I’ve read of thousands of people wanting double bass charts.
Harmonix or whoever morons doing this game, get it RIGHT damn you.

Mitchel
October 2, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Hey Jeff,
I read some of your stuffs on drum pads and stuffs. Are they still worth using with the new SL drums? I didn’t play on the old drum kits so I don’t know how loud the older drums were.

The sites you had on your 2008 posts are gone now; do you know of any new sites to buy the drum pads?
Would this suffice? http://cgi.ebay.com/Drumshhh-Rock-Band-Drum-Pads-Small-Black-/320376163725?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4a97e84d8d

Thanks.

Kailas
April 2, 2011 at 4:34 am

@Kailas the new Rock Band 2 kit did MOSTLY remove the need for drum silencers. The gum rubber ones are still useful if you want more bounce, but I find they also reduce sensitivity a bit.

Jeff Atwood
April 3, 2011 at 2:12 am

Thanks Jeff. Great posts btw.

Kailas
April 4, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Do the pro drums cymbals work on the Guitar Hero drumset?!?! PLZ TELL ME!!!

steve