October 15, 2011

Rocksmith Full Track List Revealed

I had a great time with Rocksmith during my hands-on preview; I came away convinced the game is going to actually work. A few of my thoughts are captured in this brief 2 minute video, below.

They were still coy about exactly which songs would be in Rocksmith at the time, but now that the game’s on the verge of release, here’s the full track list, courtesy of the gaming vault.

The Animals — House of the Rising Sun
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers — Good Enough
Velvet Revolver — Slither
White Denim — Burnished
The White Stripes — Icky Thump
The xx — Islands
Yellow Moon Band — Chimney

Click through to see YouTube videos of any song, if you’re not familiar with it. There’s also DLC planned, of course. Two DLC tracks have been pre-announced, Free Bird and Radiohead’s Bodysnatchers.

A good song list, but a bit … obscure at the edges. Some of these artists I’ve honestly never heard of, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but probably reflects the licensing difficulties they had. On the other hand, picking up not one but two Muse tracks stings a little because of the running “more Muse please!” joke within the Rock Band community for the last year.

Rocksmith will be available in just a few days on October 18th, and comes in either a $199 full guitar bundle, or a $79 game and USB adapter bundle for Xbox, PS3 and PC.

I’m looking forward to getting my copy this month!

None of these songs are for veteran guitar players. This is basically a beginners to slight intermediate guitar playing skill. Dissapointing. No metal anywhere very little hard rock. This playlist is garbage and will cause this game to fail. Looks like I’ll be sticking to guitar tab a little longer

Me
October 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm

>metal
>good

cooltop
October 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Only a person who can’t play guitar would say that real guitars are for old people. So what are u calling slash old? Motley crue? What u trying to say? Try picking up a real guitar. Plastic guitar… Ha! Nothing compares to playing a Gibson les Paul or a fender strat. Making ur own unique music. What can u do with the plastic one? Make a whole lota clicking noises. Just my opinion.

Mike
October 18, 2011 at 8:38 pm

For someone to insult the game because it doesn’t come with the tracks they want is absurd. In addition, to complain because it is primarily for beginner to intermediate players is useless. People that want this game want to learn. I have three guitars and don’t have fun learning from a book, or from reading tab. I got the game yesterday and had a great time with it. My fingers are killing me, but it is worth every minute. This is fun, and there is a challenge to try to get as high a score as possible. I, for one, find it to be a great tool for learning to play.

Jan
October 19, 2011 at 9:16 am

Really disappointed with the track list. It’s not a difficulty thing, a lot of metal and hard rock is easy to play….but this music selection is pure garbage. They should have really tried to cover all their bases, not sticking to alternative rock and mid-tier 80s hits.

Waiting to see more reviews before I buy it.

Mat
October 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I agree with Mike and Jan. The “other bases” (hard rock, etc) which fall into genres I also like will most likely come in the form of DLC. In the meantime, I’m enjoying learning the guitar through this game (all of what I’ve been able to experience w/in the last 48 hrs). As a drummer attempting to turn guitarist, who’s been limited to small overseas locations, no teachers, and written or online curriculum … this game is an incredible opportunity to at least become competent on guitar through a less “dry’ method than books typically offer. I think this track list gives a decent rock spectrum, and the fact of the matter is that metal and hard rock music isn’t selling in big numbers (unfortunately) with exception to older/well established bands. And for a new game (such as this) attempting to differentiate itself from the near dead rhythm game market to see success, it needs to pick music that will appeal to a wide enough spectrum of people for the game to thrive.

Jay
October 20, 2011 at 1:26 pm

They said that they will be adding more songs later through download content.

BigPoppa
October 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm

As a beginner guitarist, I find this game can be helpful to beginners but the basics such as the different chords, string letters, how to hold a guitar and such were missing from this experience and I found I needed that information to help me better understand what I am doing with this guitar. If anyone needs some extra help, I have been looking at some free guitar lessons at http://www.guitarlessons.com. so far its helped me alot and has given me more knowledge on how to play the guitar.

dan
October 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

this was definitely a bad choice in songs how many times must sunshine of your love be on a guitar game i don’t know about you but i’m sick of that song and why is there velvet revolver but no guns in roses its fact that more people like guns and roses more then velvet revolver this game was biasedly made if i was the developer i would have tried to make everybody happy if someone wants to learn guitar there not going to play songs that are boring or in there opinion just sucks the game will garantee get alot of returns cause people will feel like they wasted there money

kevan
October 23, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Frankly, I.M.H.O., the songlist sucks donkey balls. But, I’ll probably buy it anyways, hoping more palatable will be offered in the not-too-distant future…

Feldwebel Wolfenstool
October 26, 2011 at 9:41 am

I’ve been playing for a while and I think you can still have fun with this list…I mean, how can you expect new guitarists to try to play guns and roses or aerosmith or Jimmi..come on,you need years of experience just playing scales to get to that point…the intention is to have fun with it, and anyone can do that playing this list..specially kids that would otherwise be playing violent games…it can serve as a launching pad for more…

Ricardo
November 7, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I picked this game up without actually checking out the tracklist first. I hate mainstream bullshit, and it s nice to know they chose a few bands i regularly listen to. I expected maybe one at best. For all those complaining about it, try listening to something that required some creativity to make, instead of the four chord shit they play on the radio(that includes rock radio, metalfags).

CaptainTG
November 9, 2011 at 6:29 am

I find it hard to believe that any of you really play guitar. Guns n roses and aerosmith is hard to play? Are you autistic? Powerchords require no skill at all, and finger picking takes two days of practice to get down.

CaptainTG
November 9, 2011 at 6:32 am

Will they do a country playlisr?

justin
November 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Hell no to country.Its called Rocksmith duh.

jeff
November 10, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Indie Rock is just mainstream rock that can’t sell so just adds whiny pretentious BS.

This is easily the worst soundtrack not only in the history of music game or even video games in general. This is the worst soundtrack in the history of soundtracks.

Needs a metric assload of metal (or at the very least punk… real punk not Blink 182 or Green Day) DLC before I even consider buying this. I don’t give a crap about playing garbage like the Pixies or Muse or Radiohead. Give me Ted Nugent. Give me Sex Pistols. Give me Iced Earth. Give me ARTISTS. Not a bunch of hypocritical hipsters who only claim they “don’t sell out”, but in reality if given the chance they’d put their name on any crap.

OctoberRaven
November 12, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I bought the game not knowing what to expect Ive read reviews knocking the game down a couple pegs but as far as my opinion goes I am enjoying it :) Its a great tool not only for those of us who already know how to play but for those of us striving to learn how to play. If you have that big of a deal with the game just wait for it to be on dicount or something, but if your just reading reviews and judging what you decide off of that just go to your local guitar center store and see if they have it on display to try it like they did at my store. Yeah the playlist couldve been better, but the songs are still good. Im sure theyll come up with downloadable music playlist and maybe songs tuned in drop d but as far as it goes right now… Most advanced, and funniest guitar game purchased.

ricky
November 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Its fun to see all the nay-sayers here.
To make a music game where everyone are happy with the list
is impossible lest you include 1000 songs.
Thankfully DLC exists and the genres missing will receive
their due attention.
I for one would love to see some SOAD or other heavy stuff.

But what I find the most disturbing is to the extend the list is
anglocentric, the game is developed by French Ubisoft after all.
I want Rammstein on that list.

AbleSable
November 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I’m just waiting for Rocksmith: Gods of Metal. Then I blow $80 on a game.

MongrolMan
November 19, 2011 at 8:57 am

This is definitely an interesting looking game that I’ll have to pick up a guitar and the game and try it out.
As for all the whiners, I guess they don’t understand licensing laws. The music put into games isn’t free. The publisher/developers have to PAY to use the songs. How much do you think a smaller, relatively unknown group charges to put a song in vs some group like SOAD, Metallica, GNR, etc? Hint: It’s many times less. Also, they have to market to the mainstream purchaser, and the mainstream purchaser listens to mainstream music. Some of the bands people mentioned on here I’ve never heard of, and likely many people haven’t.

MileHigh
November 23, 2011 at 7:09 am

You fuckin metal homos need to get a life. You wouldn’t know real music if it ran up and rochambeaued you. This playlist is great…not that you knuckledraggers could afford it w/o putting too big a dent in your weed budget.

JimmisLeftNut
November 25, 2011 at 9:56 am

I think there are a lot of people missing the point of the play list. It was not designed to be everybody’s favorite. Each song was chosen to teach a new technique and show a different style of play.

Eyesick
November 27, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Eyesick has a point. Id rather feel like im learning to play and not blowing my load to a metal track trying to keep up with all the sliding….id feel like someone covered me in sex gelly and slid me across a waxed tile floor. The playlist is like a chick… you cant always get EXACTLY what you but u make due till the divorce

Stiffinforariffin
December 15, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I’ve been trying to learn guitar off and on for years – and the tools out there bored me to tears. I finally gave up because it didn’t feel like I was making music, and hated practicing.

My wife bought me RS and a cheap Fender for Christmas, and I’ve played a couple of hours a day for 10 days straight. While I still have a LONG way to go, I’m getting the technique down, know which end of the guitar to hold, and am really enjoying the learning process.

There may be songs I like more than others, I even have more incentive to muscle through the ones I don’t like (and get proficient with the skills they’re trying to get me to learn), so I can get on to something I enjoy more.

The first song I learned to play was Satisfaction, playing along with the Stones!!! What a great way to feed my ego and keep me coming back! I’m a huge fan of the game, and envision a lot more “game you into learning” games over the next few years. When’s the last time you played games for two hours and didn’t feel guilty about wasting your time?

Denver
December 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I would like for the track list to include modern artst like maroon 5 and fosster the people would be cool, but i would get this game, it looks fun

Frank
December 29, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I’m having fun. Jeeeez its not like you are going to be able to play the songs they offer let alone more stuff. I’m having fun with Sweet Home Alabama and Satisfaction. They are challenging enough for someone who has never picked up guitar. I’m practicing cords and single note stuff. They have done a great job with the Ducks game and all the other offering. Its a fine learning tool. I dont think the playlist is really that important.

catscratchfever
December 31, 2011 at 4:53 pm

ok.. i don’t know why theres a bunch of people bashing Metal Heads. For 1. 99% of metal, Is harder to play than anything on this game. 2. Not all metal heads are also pot heads. and saying that first one, That doesnt mean this game isnt good either. I’m a metal head, And yeah it would be nice to have some kick ass metal tunes on the game, But its still fun to play. Besides, If you look at it from the developers/producers point of view… You put a bunch of Great music on it when it first comes out, Then 2 things can happen.

1. Depending on the Set, It could be too hard for beginners and therefor – Lose money.

2. They won’t be able to give as good of DLC, which in turn means less sales, therefore – Less money.

For alll the metal heads, They obviously listened because of the megadeth track pack that came out. Could of picked a better song than the over played symphony, But none the less, a good song.

Some people say its shit, some say its great.. no point in bashing eachother for having a different opinion. I have fun with the game, even though 90% of the music is not the kind i listen to. But it teaches, and lets you have fun, and explore other genres on your guitar. So just have fun!

WarCrime
January 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm

No complaints about the playlist from me. Most of the groups I have never heard of. I am just glad someone made this game. We can work on all the fine polish later. Down loading songs at $2.99 from PS gets expensive real quick. I have to admit there are a few songs I like alot. The game is not called ‘your favorite rock song”. There is a decent mix of music nothing great, but it is alot of fun and my fingers are killing me. enjoy.

Xavior
January 13, 2012 at 1:25 am

I played this game for the first time the other day and love it! I’ve been playing guitar over 20 years and I wish I had something like this when I started. In response to a earlier comment I see on here – Real guitars are for Real Musicians.
And so what, if the songs are not all your favorites – You get something from every song you learn. Different techniques and note structure can’t hurt.
One thing I really like is the digital compensation for your strings if they are out of tune. This makes even a beginner sound alright. But don’t be lazy – A tuned guitar plays better when the strings are in tune and hamonized..

JayCee
January 21, 2012 at 2:46 pm

black keys, cream, Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Muse, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Boston, Blue oyter Colt, Animals, White Stripes, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Kings of Leon, and more.

If you dont think thats an amazing list of bands you should go see a therapist cause something wrong with you.

Justin
January 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm

AGREE WITH JUSTIN!!!! AWSOME ‘PLAY LIST’ & cant forget Nirvana, they’re one of my faves…. & S.T.P., and more now like Megadeth, in DLC… Im sure there would be more, but what band, new ones mostly… want you knowing their songs??? They want you buying their music. There is a “Gamecade” where they have mini-games to…. for scale and chord practice, & in response to a earlier comment – Real guitars are for Real Musicians…. HOW DO WE GET “REAL MUSICIANS” if noone is ever allowed to learn to ‘play’ ??? I have played less than a week, and I almost got Next Girl down-pat…. hmm…. even the guys are impressed with me… lol. :D

Mandii Leigh
February 8, 2012 at 3:55 am

If you think that is an “AWESOME” track list you are nuts. Some of it is good, but most of it is CRAP.

Lead Bridged Chorus
February 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm

just got the game yesterday, i really really like it and i have been playing for 10+ years. yea there isnt alot of metal, i’d like to see some alice in chains, tool, nine inch nails, orgy or even some beck, or bands like pantera or slipknot. but its worth buying it just to have fun with the guitar, learn some new stuff.

guitardewdmangis
March 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Good to see the marketing department is here ^^^
It would be great if Ubisoft connected itself to songsterr.com…that or a game editor of sorts.

You’d think metal is too complicated to interprete through usb?
In any case the playlist needs more songs and flavors…something loud and crazy: killl or lightning bolt. Though cannibal corpse, slayer & sepultura whatever are probably safer bets
…if you’re gonna add kings of leon you better have something for contrast.

toni
May 2, 2012 at 12:48 am

NO COUNTRY! If you put country and rap and lady gaga crap into this game like they did with ROCK Band I will burn the ROCKsmith disc into a pile of molten plastic then urinate on it.

No Country
May 17, 2012 at 11:57 pm

they need some Buckethead , and more great metal songs.

bobby
May 23, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Buckcherry. Nuff said

REB2112
July 16, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Yes Country! I dont give two shits if you go piss on the disc. waste your own money. people who love country music want to learn guitar too.

Kat
August 17, 2012 at 10:46 am

Meh to me the playlist and DLC pricing puts me off considering what they’ll get are either boring or void of technique.

Osyrhia
October 8, 2012 at 6:05 am

i have rocksmith since this morning. its great after 20 years i am learning again to play guitar with a teacher. i’ll know right now that this game gonna give me a lot of fun and gonna help me to inprove my speed of moving my fingers around the board. its not what kind of music you play,but the satisfaction of having the feeling you do things right and everyday you play its going better. music is way of life. my choice is hard rock and metal but enjoy every note i,m playing. now i’ll have finally find the program that helps me live my dream. great program rocksmith for me

marc
November 2, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I expected a lot better of the tracklist. Just have a look on youtube of people playing guitar hero and stuff like that, most of the time they play metal or kind of. The success of guitar hero or rock band is mainly due to the rock or metal songs.

I don’t say they should try to please only metalheads. But if they do a songlist for people who do like music (so exit black eyed peas), that will be a succes for sure. And they will, they don’t have the choice. It’s just such a shame it’s not the case since the beginning…

Captain Spaulding
November 16, 2012 at 10:52 am

But as a metalhead, I would like to say:

Give us some Machine Head, give us some Pantera, I don’t want to only play music with normal tuning because it must be played by everyone!

I want some Bloodbath, Entombed, some dirty stuffs tuned low! Maybe they could do a rocksmith for band tuned in B. That would be great…

And I’d loooove to play Converge, even if it will be very painfull cause it’s hard to play, but where’s the fun if it’s easy???

Captain Spaulding
November 16, 2012 at 10:54 am

^^ So i take it some of you didn’t like the playlist?

Most of the artists featured in the playlist have less than 5% of a say in which tracks get included in the game, that decision is made by the record companies, and comes down to the negotiation of royalties.
Less popular tracks by an artist are featured because they are cheaper. The artists name is enough of a draw to buy the game in the first place.
Also, we all share a wide and varied taste in music, like mentioned above, the game would have to include 1000+ songs to please everyone.
DLC will satisfy most people if they only want to learn to play tracks by more obscure artists, its thier ears and if they like them bleeding, then rock yourself out i say! but do it from the comfort of your own wallet.

RS is an amazing well put together game, i mean come on, they are sampling guitar harmonics in realtime here and playing that back with the extra overhead of processing for the game dynamics, on a games console!! If that isnt awsome enough for you, then there something wrong with your brain.

Learn to play something new every day, and your reportiore will make you a more rounded individual. sweet home alabama, once it permeates your cerebral cortex has the power to change the world.

WILD STALIIONS! MOST EXCELLENT!

FlemGrem
December 24, 2012 at 2:59 am

2014 is out and has a couple goodies, but most obscure noise. Where is Hendrix and SRV and I sure would love that slow blues one that the John Mayer trio did on their dvd last time out. SIGH.

Ron